In a lengthy report published today, Wednesday, Reuters quoted Syrian sources as saying that the number of deaths due to Corona is much greater than what the Syrian authorities accused of concealing the true numbers of victims announce.
While the official toll indicates the death of 209 people, the sources relied on by Reuters confirm that many more people died as a result of the epidemic.
The agency’s report quoted Abd al-Rahim Badir, who issues death certificates in the village of Najha, close to the capital, Damascus, and administratively affiliated to the Damascus Countryside Governorate, which includes a large cemetery in which thousands of victims of the Syrian war were buried, that they are already digging a mass grave there that can hold thousands.
While the Nagha cemetery dedicated to Corona victims usually witnesses about 40 burials per day, the number increased to more than 3-fold in most of July, and a jump was witnessed in August, according to Badir.
The same source said that he had not witnessed such an increase in burial operations over the past 30 years of his work, and some funerals were held at night to avoid the accumulation of bodies.
According to a senior coordinator in a large Western non-governmental organization, an unprecedented large increase was observed in July and most of August, reaching an average of 120 deaths per day, before the number decreased to about 60 last month.
For its part, Akjemal Majtimova, the representative of the World Health Organization in Syria, told Reuters, citing epidemic monitoring and analysis data and reports of the Ministry of Health, that the real number of Corona cases is much higher than what the authorities announce, noting that Damascus and its countryside are the most affected by the epidemic.
Last summer, funeral notices were placed on the city walls and posted on social media sites almost daily, with professional organizations mourning dozens of doctors, academics, lawyers and politicians who died as a result of the Corona virus.
Restraints and injuries
In the Arab world, too, the Tunisian authorities are moving to announce a curfew in the four governorates of Greater Tunis (Tunis, Ariana, Manouba and Ben Arous), due to the increase in injuries.
A few days ago, the authorities imposed a partial ban in some areas with a high number of cases of Corona, as part of other measures aimed at reducing gatherings.
In an unprecedented toll, Tunisia today announced 43 deaths and more than 2,300 new cases of the virus, bringing the total to about 25,000.
Today, an official at the Tunisian Ministry of Health said that 14 of the 24 governorates had injuries exceeding normal rates.
Also in Tunisia, the head of the Free Destour Party, Abeer Moussa and two members of her parliamentary bloc, announced that they had been infected with the virus, and a deputy for the Ennahda Movement also announced that he had contracted the virus.
In Jordan, which today recorded 1199 new cases of the virus and 9 deaths, a comprehensive curfew will be in effect for a period of 48 hours, with school attendance suspended until further notice.
As is the case in Jordan, other Arab countries recorded high numbers of Coronavirus infections, as Libya and the UAE recorded more than a thousand cases again.
Iraq exported about 4 thousand injuries, while Qatar, Kuwait, Palestine, Saudi Arabia and the Sultanate of Oman, respectively, recorded between 200 and 800 injuries.
Despite the acceleration of the epidemic in Iraq, the Sunni Endowment Office announced today the resumption of Friday prayers in its mosques, starting tomorrow, Friday.
In other regions of the world, specifically in Europe, the situation is getting more difficult, with several countries, including France, Britain and Spain, recording high numbers of injuries, which prompted most of them to impose more restrictions aimed at limiting gatherings.
After France, which took measures, including the declaration of alert in Paris, the authorities in Italy decided to compel the population, starting today, to put masks outside closed places nationwide, in an attempt to curb the rise in Corona cases.
Also in Italy, an informed source told Reuters today that former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, 84, has recovered from the Corona virus.
The source added, that the results of an examination conducted for Berlusconi, who spent the first half of September in a hospital in Milan before being allowed to return to his home with a quarantine, came now negative and that he is waiting for a second scan result in order to confirm his recovery from the virus.
Berlusconi contracted pneumonia and stayed at San Raffaele Hospital in Milan for more than 10 days.
In Europe, too, Britain today recorded more than 14,000 new infections and 70 deaths, in an indication of the worsening epidemiological situation in it.
In Spain, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced today a financial recovery package worth 140 billion euros (162 billion dollars), and this step comes as the first European countries to exceed 825 thousand injuries, including more than 32 thousand deaths, and the capital Madrid is exposed to the worst second wave From the Corona virus on the European continent.
In turn, Germany recorded today about 3 thousand new cases of the virus, and Russia again counted more than 11 thousand infections in one day, and Ukraine in turn recorded 4 thousand cases.
The spread of the epidemic in the Czech Republic has become the fastest in Europe, while Switzerland recorded the highest toll since the beginning of April.
In Asia, India today counted 986 new deaths, and 72 thousand new cases of the virus, bringing the total to 6.7 million infected.
Today, Iran recorded a record increase in the number of deaths in Corona, with 239 deaths, in addition to 4 thousand new infections.
In Sri Lanka, the authorities today banned all public gatherings, in light of the acceleration of the Corona epidemic.
In other regions of Asia, China recorded 7 new infections, and South Korea 114, which is the first time in a week that the number of injured exceeds 100.
In Malaysia, the office of Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced today that the tests that were conducted for him to determine whether he was infected with the Coronavirus were negative.
As for Latin America, which is still witnessing a large-scale outbreak of the epidemic, Mexico yesterday recorded about 5 thousand new cases of the virus, as well as 471 deaths.
These were the details of the news Corona … a mass grave in Damascus to accommodate thousands of... for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at saudi24news and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.