Hello and welcome to the details of Argentina announces 'circuit-breaker' lockdown as Covid-19 rages and now with the details
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
BUENOS AIRES, May 21 ― Argentina will tighten pandemic lockdown measures to combat a severe second Covid-19 wave, President Alberto Fernandez said yesterday, underscoring concern as daily cases and deaths have broken records over the last week.
The strict “circuit-breaker” measures will come into force on Saturday and last until May 31. They include school and non-essential commerce closures and the banning of social, religious and sporting events in the nation of 45 million people.
“We are living the worst moment since the pandemic began,” Fernandez said. “Today as never before we must all take care of ourselves to avoid all the losses that we can.”
Citizens who are not classed as essential workers will be allowed to be out close to their homes between 6am and 6pm; otherwise, they must stay at home.
The restrictions come as the government accelerates a vaccination campaign that has lagged ambitious initial plans. So far, only 4.7 per cent of the population has been fully inoculated and 18.4 per cent has received at least one dose, according to a Reuters analysis.
Fernandez also announced an economic rescue package for sectors worst-hit by the pandemic, which has exacerbated a crisis that has plagued the country for the past three years and left millions of Argentines in poverty.
Argentina posted 35,884 new Covid-19 cases yesterday after hitting a record high 39,652 on Wednesday. Total infections number some 3.45 million, which puts the country ahead of hard-hit Brazil on a per capita basis and has pushed hospital intensive care units to near-saturation. There have been 72,699 confirmed deaths. ― Reuters
These were the details of the news Argentina announces 'circuit-breaker' lockdown as Covid-19 rages for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.