Southern African team to probe deadly Eswatini protests

Southern African team to probe deadly Eswatini protests
Southern African team to probe deadly Eswatini protests

Hello and welcome to the details of Southern African team to probe deadly Eswatini protests and now with the details

Nevin Al Sukari - Sana'a - Protests have roiled Eswatini, with the absolute monarchy under pressure to show restraint. — AFP file pic

MBABANE (eSwatini), July 4 — A southern African mission will arrive in Eswatini today, its government has said, after the kingdom was rocked by pro-democracy protests and claims of a deadly crackdown.

Protesters have stepped up their campaign for political reform in recent days in the tiny landlocked country, formerly known as Swaziland.

The government deployed the army to disperse the crowds and unverified videos emerged of beatings by security forces.

Amnesty International accused them of a “frontal attack on human rights” and alleged at least 20 people had been killed.

The kingdom’s government said it had invited the Southern African Development Community (SADC) to carry out “a fact-finding mission” from Sunday.

The 16-country bloc added that its team would encourage the kingdom to find a lasting solution to the dispute.

The government has so far said it has not received an official report on any deaths.

Internet service providers said they had been ordered to cut access to social media and online platforms until further notice.

Shops were closed during the violence but some reopened for a few hours on Saturday, according to an AFP correspondent in the capital Mbabane.

An evening curfew is in place, with a heavy police presence on the streets.

But protesters defied the rules earlier in the week and targeted buildings linked to King Mswati III.

The violence in the country of 1.3 million people sandwiched between South Africa and Mozambique has drawn international condemnation. — AFP

These were the details of the news Southern African team to probe deadly Eswatini protests for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.

It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.

PREV Beirut’s youth rebuild the Lebanese capital, brick by brick
NEXT Fully vaccinated expats can return to Kuwait as of Sunday